The funds are provided to assist original and challenging international research which meets social as well as academic demands in the fields of humanities and social sciences.
- If you are Grant Recipient, please contact the Foundation by E-mail.
Applications have closed for this year. The information about the applications for the next year will be announced in March, 2023.
Research Grant Application Guidelines (2022) Areas: Humanities and Social Sciences
- ●Areas of Research
Research activities in the areas of humanities and social science which are expected to contribute to achieving the goal of the Foundation, by
- promoting international understanding by solving various issues which exist between Japan and other nations
- promoting co-existence of nature and mankind
The research is required to have global perspective and be based on high social and academic demand. Pioneering researches based on creative ideas are highly welcome.
- Researches aimed at making profit
- Researches which are considered to be actually completed
- Researches which require a huge amount of research expenses
- Researches whose period is less than 6 months in the grant period
- ●Eligibility and Conditions
- Students enrolled in a doctoral program and researchers within five years after finishing a doctoral program (Eligibility is determined according to the position at the time of application)
- Individuals who have not previously received any grants from the Foundation
- Individuals who reside in Japan
- Individuals who do not belong to graduate schools, organizations, research institutions, etc. located outside Japan.
Outline of the Grants
- ●Number of Grant Recipients
Approx. 40-50 students and researchers
- ●Amount of Grants
- Maximum amount of grant per student/researcher is 500,000 yen.
- The amount of each grant will be assessed by the content of research plan and the rationality of its budget.
- ●Term of Grants
Term of grants shall be one year from October 1, 2022 to September 30, 2023.
- ●Use of Grants
- Grants are to be used for expenses necessary in carrying out research plans, and expenses shall be itemized in accordance with the List of Items of Expenditures in a separate page. The amount requested and the itemized budget should always match with each other.
- ●Main Duties of the Recipients
- The recipient of the grant shall submit a pledge to the Foundation at the start of the program, and within 1 months after the end of the grant period, he / she shall submit a report on the process and the results of the research as well as an accounting report. In case valid reports are not submitted within 6 months after the grant period, we request the recipient to return full amount of grant he / she had received.
- In case the expense exceeds 10,000 yen, receipts should be attached to the financial report. Receipts for expenses less than 10,000 yen shall be saved by the end of the grant period in case that the Foundation request to submit.
- Surplus must be returned to the Foundation.
- Please note that the process and results of the research will be made public through the website of the Foundation.
Selection method and Criteria for screening
- ●Screening Method
Careful and fair screening will be conducted by the screening committee in mid-July, 2022.
- ●Notice of the result
The results will be informed the applicants by e-mail by the beginning of August, 2022. Please understand that the Foundation will not respond to any inquiries regarding the results.
- ●Criteria of Screening
In screening, we focus on researches in the areas of humanities and social science which meet the following criteria:
- (1) Research which is in line with the objectives and activities of the Foundation
- (2) Research which has high social and academic importance
- (3) Research which is creative and pioneering
- (4) Research which will be carried out by highly motivated and competent researchers and with excellent research plans and setups
- (5) Research with rational and appropriate budget plan.
- Will you provide a grant for our research?
- Please first carefully read "Information for Applicants" to understand the objectives of our program. Among the applications submitted, the selection committee will decide which research projects are awarded grants, in accordance with the objectives of the grant.
- I have received grant from the Konosuke Matsushita Memorial Foundation in the past. Can I apply again?
- We are very sorry that those who have received the grant in the past are not eligible. We appreciate your understanding.
- I will be working at XX University from this coming August. In this case which institution should I write as "Current Institution."
- Please write the institution you belong to when you fill in the application form, not a new one.
- What will happen if I move abroad during the research grant period?
- Individuals who move abroad for the grant period are not eligible. We appreciate your understanding. During the research grant period, we offer grants limited to individuals who reside in Japan and do not belong to graduate schools, organizations, research institutions, etc. located outside Japan.
- May foreign nationals submit applications?
- Your nationality is irrelevant as long as you are a resident of Japan, do not belong to graduate schools, organizations, research institutions, etc. located outside Japan, and meet other eligibility criteria and conditions.
- ●Application form
- Are there any particular criteria to select reference for the application?
- Please select one expert from appropriated related fields of your research.
- Does the grant cover the cost of holding events such as symposiums and conferences?
- Our grant does not cover the cost of holding events such as symposiums and conferences. Moreover, the cost of attending international academic conferences shall not be covered.
- Could you tell me other items that the grant does not cover?
- Please refer to "List of Items of Expenditures for Research Grants" on the application guideline.